Friday, December 16, 2005

a day in the life of an 85 year old woman

I have begun to realize this year that I am a person of quirks. What I have realized recently is that many of my quirks actually should more accurately describe someone that is 85. They are however a regular part of my daily life as a 28 year old. At risk of opening myself completely to ridicule I have decided to share them, because we have to be able to laugh at ourselves right? Aren't we all a bit odd?

I have a pill box.

When I get home I immediately put on my robe and slippers.

I have extreme forgetfulness and lose my keys, phone, and chapstick at least three times a day...apiece.

V-8 is my favorite beverage.

I must have extreme heat in the winter...90 degrees is prime.

All technology is a complete black hole to me.

I drive a Taurus and listen to tapes.

I sleep with an eyemask when I travel.

I cannot lift heavy objects.

My music and the TV are always blaring.

...and of course...I have a hot water bottle with me at most times.

I can't wait to see what I will be like at 85?!

10 Comments:

Blogger bet(h) said...

don't forget driving slow, sucking in your breath a lot when riding with other people, and asking people to repeat themselves quite often.

but don't worry, it's okay.

9:03 AM  
Blogger donna said...

i don't know if this is characteristic of an 85 year old woman, but i think that all must know that you also use a minimum of 4 heating devices in the winter. (1) hot water bottle; (2) heating pad; (3) heating blanket; (4) space heater. and of course, this is all over and above the normal furnace of your home.

they don't call you grandma for nothing.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't be so hard on yourself. i myself am a cold freak. i use all the things you do except the heating blanket because i can't afford to buy one.

i'm not too sure about the v-8...but at least i too have a pill box.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a pill box. And V8 is not a beverage. The quintessential Grandma move: storing wadded up tissues in your purse for repeated use. Just shake 'em out -- they're fine.

12:50 PM  
Blogger hannah said...

or what about writing checks to pay for things that are not bills? i think that counts. i would say loving soup, but i think everyone should love soup no matter what your age. we love you grandma sariah...

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you usually wear oversized, brightly colored nylon track suits, hats with ridiculously large bills and jumbo, wrap-around sunglasses?? Call me sometime ... ;)

6:14 AM  
Blogger tiffany said...

I imagine at 85 you will regress back to the behavior of a young person. Sequined tube tops, mini skirts, excessive use of the word like. Obviously the hot water bottle will be tucked neatly under the tube top. Some things never change.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say you are weird. Not eccentric. And not an 85 year old woman. Just weird.

Wait. Was this posted by Sarah or Jeff?

By the way, has anyone else noticed that Sarah looks really good lately? I think she has lost weight, but, it might be something else. I'm not sure. No one else has noticed this?

- Not a secret admirer, just a creepy secret observer

8:56 PM  
Blogger shalinn said...

whether she's actually an 85 year old woman or not, i'm pretty sure that after anonymous's pseudo-pick up line, sarah may never post anything again on the world wide web. she's already scared of technology - thanks for enhancing that fear. on a better note - at least you look nothing like an 85 year old woman sarah. anonymous doesn't think so either apparently....

12:27 PM  
Blogger Megs said...

I've always believed that not only does everyone have an inner child, they also have an inner grandparent. Way to go on embracing yours!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home