Friday, October 28, 2005

Commentary on a small town...

This past week I randomly remembered the name I wanted to change my name to as a child. Trisha Schultz. Isn't that awesome? It made me think back to my childhood in a small conservative town. I realized in doing so how different my growing up must have been. Little details came to mind that were commonly held practices of all the people I knew. There are approximately fifty direct parallels between Whitewater and Blaine. I thought I'd take a risk and list some eccentricities for your amusement. This is a segment I have entitled..."Who didn't..."

Who didn't...

think the one foot deep dirty puddle that ran through our town was called a river?

use a key to start the gas pump?

have an alcholic fire chief?

catch crawdads after school every day?

buy all their meat from the meat locker?

have deer whistles on all their cars?

think Avon was the coolest make-up?

have a dad with a mustache?

have homemade swimming suits?

fake cabbage patch dolls?

have the "Heart" family instead of that slutty Barbie clan?

play flute solos at church for special music?

think Keds were the coolest shoes around?

have a mushroom haircut until senior year?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't see you catching crawdads trisha.

9:08 AM  
Blogger donna said...

don't forget the tapered leg red suit. :)

6:39 PM  
Blogger hannah said...

oh trisha... i had the fake cabbage patch kid doll too. couldnt afford the real one until they werent cool anymore, oh...yeah...

ps. shall we make some swimsuits this spring?

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

trish - can you bring that suit on friday night to the shoe store to wear in the window?

7:58 PM  
Blogger tiffany said...

I am joining you in the Trisha club, not willingly, but that's what the lady at the front keeps calling me.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I do need to make another swimming suit. I thought for the opening I would wear a strapless terry cloth shorts outfit however...with P.F. Flyers of course.

10:54 AM  
Blogger bet(h) said...

dad with a mustache - check
[even better, dad with a perm] - check
homemade swimming suit - check
fake cabbage patch doll - check
heart family - check
church clarinet duet, where my friend & i busted up laughing half-way through and left the stage crying b/c i was laughing so hard - and had a mother follow me to the bathroom b/c she thought i was actually sad - check

i was from the raging metropolis of wichita, however, so it's not just smalltown, trisha.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home