Tuesday, November 15, 2005

cooking lessons

Tonight I took three African American acquaintences of mine to the Alpha dinner party. I had the funniest exchange with one of them. The following is the conversation...

Sarah-Do you cook?

Ivy-I love to cook.

Sarah-Cool...what sorts of things do you make?

Ivy-I love turkey neck and noodles...and I loooove chitlins.

Sarah-Interesting. I don't think I have had the experience of eating either of those things before.

Ivy-Do you want me to tell you why? (leans in and whispers) "because black people eat different food than white people. White people don't even know you can eat the neck and the intestines and that it's good."

Sarah-I think I'll have to try that sometime.

I love my cultural experiences. Sometime I'll tell you all a really good story about a Peacekeeper I met few months ago.

4 Comments:

Blogger hannah said...

sarah maybe we could make turkey neck pot pie next week? sometimes i wish i kept the peace, so yummy...

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she wasn't saying 'chitlins' - she was saying 'children'. right peacekeeper?

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard the peacekeeper story. Beg to hear it.

10:25 AM  
Blogger bet(h) said...

ah, i wish we could've recorded bishop zac of uganda, laughing in response to the peacekeeper story. absolutely perfect.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home